- Rhododendron Sanctuary – Pachaug State Forest
- Cutoff Road, Voluntown, CT
- Trailhead: 41°35’37.42″N, 71°52’3.42″W
- Last Time Hiked: July 5, 2016
- Approximate distance hiked: 0.5 miles
If there is one hike in the area that is all about timing it is this one. The short, level, out and back, quarter mile trail leads you through an area of dense rhododendrons. These shrubs bloom in late June to early July and the vast cluster pink flowers are spectacular. The trail is mostly gravel based and boardwalks. Along the trail there are swamps with frogs and turtles. There is also an abundance of ferns covering the forest floor. The trail ceases at Misery Brook. This hike would be a good companion to other nearby hikes including Mount Misery.
Trail maps can be found at: Rhododendron Sanctuary